The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The Honeymoon Period

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The Honeymoon Period Posted: Sep 2, 2006 9:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The Honeymoon Period
Feed Title: Michael Lucas-Smith
Feed URL: http://www.michaellucassmith.com/site.atom
Feed Description: Smalltalk and my misinterpretations of life
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Michael Lucas-Smith

Advertisement

My blood glocuse levels have stabalised a bit. It took a week, but they hover between 4 and 12 which is getting there. Occassionally it jumps up to between 18 and 20 if I eat too many carbs. It's hard to get that right - really hard.

Now I'm about to enter a honeymoon period. This is a period when my last remaining beta eyelet cells start to work again because the stress on them is gone. During this period I may be able to lower my insulin dosages.

The reason it's called the honeymoon period is that those last few beta cells are destined to die. There is no way to save them. They have a limited life span and exactly how long that'll last is completely unknown. It could be a day, a week, month, or even years.

Given my slow onset of the symptoms I'm not too hopeful that I'll have much of a honeymoon at all (if any!) because it 'feels' like my body was fighting all the way up until a few weeks ago when it simply got too much.

If I do get a bit of a honeymoon period, then at least I can mourn the passing of the last of my beta cells. Poor things.

Spirits are higher than earlier in the week. This is still an overwhelming thing and it'll take me a while to adjust. But it is a definite quantity, a known: ie: I know how to treat it, I know how long I'll have it and I know there's no more surprises left. Finally I know why I've been fatigued for years and finally it is being fixed.

One side effect though - my confidence is shot. Totally shot. I had a chance to go meet a girl last night at a bar and I wimped out. Totally piked. It'll take me a while to get that confidence back. I think perhaps the choice of venue didn't help - I'm not about to start drinking after only one week of being diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1. I'll just mark this one down as 'not my type' even though I didn't even meet her.

Read: The Honeymoon Period

Topic: Doubler 0.5.5.24 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What the RIAA really fears

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use