The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Joel Gets Hammered

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Joel Gets Hammered Posted: Sep 1, 2006 11:48 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Joel Gets Hammered
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Via Less is Better, David Heinemeir Hansson gets the Board of Education out for Joel Spolsky - read the whole thing, it's well worth it. I love his summary:

So Joel and friends invented their own language, which has to reasonably compile to three and a half different ones. Yes, they're building their Serious Business Stuff application on a 1-off, closed language. So please do as I say, not as I do, dammit. And pick something mainstream and "safe".
I swear I couldn't make this stuff up even if I tried. Joel, you're my new hero of irony. And as soon as you start selling those t-shirts with "Serious Business Stuff", I got green ready to flow. Short of that, I'd take a red teddy bear with the embroidering "Someone is Going to Get Fired".

Oh, and let me address something that I wasn't specific about in my post on this - his FUD on Smalltalk (and Lisp, Ruby, etc)

Last summer when we had a group of interns build Copilot, we had to decide what language to use for new code. I know that typically on new projects there's a long evaluation period where you decide what technology to use, along with lots of debates that include some crazy person actually wasting quite a lot of time evaluating Squeak and Lisp and OCaml and lots of other languages which are totally, truly brilliant programming languages worthy of great praise, but just don't have the gigantic ecosystem you need around them if you want to develop web software.

So let me get this straight, Joel: having one of your developers build a custom language (bus count: 1) is a better idea (with a bigger "ecosystem") than using Smalltalk? Or Lisp? Or Ruby? Sheesh, I'd call that stupid, but I'd be insulting all the stupid people that way. This goes down from stupid, straight into stoooopid.

Let me know how things work out on that when your Wasabi guy moves on to the next great opportunity.

Technorati Tags:

Read: Joel Gets Hammered

Topic: Source Formatting for Windows Live Writer Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Test-Driven Development Doubts

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use