The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Lockdown the net, lose staff

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Lockdown the net, lose staff Posted: Aug 23, 2006 4:43 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Lockdown the net, lose staff
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

There have been tons of news stories about companies blocking (partially or even fully) internet access so as to "keep people working". I've thought that was a really stupid idea for a long time; would you want to work at the sort of outfit that treated you like a 5 year old in need of a filter? Here's more on the subject, from an MS employee with the title "Senior Design Anthropologist" (I love that title, btw):

Jobseekers will think twice about employers who lock down work internet access, a senior Microsoft executive said today.

“These kids are saying: forget it! I don’t want to work with you. I don’t want to work at a place where I can’t be freely online during the day,” said Anne Kirah, Microsoft Senior Design Anthropologist.

“People that I meet are saying this to me every day, all over the world.”

The web, IM, and IRC are all crucial parts of my job; I couldn't work without them. Manager who implement lockdowns (outside the national security zone) are looking at this completely wrong: if you have an employee who spends too much time browsing the web (etc) instead of working, then you could try actually managing - discipline (or terminate) the bad actor.

What we have in outfits that just "punish the class" are managers afraid to do their jobs.

Read: Lockdown the net, lose staff

Topic: This is classic baseball Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Over the Edge

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use