The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Back to the Revenue Sharing thing

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Back to the Revenue Sharing thing Posted: Aug 22, 2006 6:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Back to the Revenue Sharing thing
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

There's been a good conversation surrounding the spending habits of the Yankees, and whether it's a good thing for the health of baseball in my recent post. As it happens, I just ran across an ESPN story that claims - wait for it - that the Yankees are losing money:

Forbes Magazine reported that the Yankees became the first MLB team to be worth more than $1 billion with a baseball-best $277 million in revenue.
However, Forbes said the Yankees lost $50 million last season because the team paid $77 million in revenue sharing. The New York Daily News also reported in December that the Yankees lost at least $50 million and possibly as much as $85 million last season.

Now, I've been very skeptical of the sob stories that the owners put out about constant money losses - if it were as bad as they let on, the league would be down to 4 or 5 teams. On the other hand, I can definitely buy the idea of Steinbrenner wanting to win so badly that he's gone into the red for the year. For many owners (in baseball and other sports), teams are nothing more than expensive hobbies.

Technorati Tags: ,

Read: Back to the Revenue Sharing thing

Topic: Change Happens Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I call it lame

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use