The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Confusing Popularity with Monopoly

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Confusing Popularity with Monopoly Posted: Aug 3, 2006 8:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Confusing Popularity with Monopoly
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

It looks like Norway would like to define Apple's business plans; they want Apple to open up the iTunes music store:

Apple Computer Inc. has struck a defiant stance with Scandinavian regulators, staunchly defending its right to make its iPod the only portable music player compatible with songs purchased from the company's iTunes music store.

Norway isn't the only place this sort of thinking is happening - I was listening to the Buzz Out Loud podcast this afternoon (August 3rd, 2006), and it was clear to me that Molly Wood is thinking the same thing. Here's the deal: there are tons of mp3 players on the market, and more than a few music stores. The iTunes store has the largest share, and that might have something to do with iTunes offering a better experience than most of the competition. The only thing that truly stands in the way of a better store is the RIAA and their insistence on brain dead DRM; if eMusic had access to more labels, I rather expect that their share of the downloadable music market would rise dramatically if they had such access.

Heck, if Apple is forced to include other devices, maybe I should demand that Sun start offering Squeak side by side with Java. It would make about as much sense.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Read: Confusing Popularity with Monopoly

Topic: About that iPod use Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Do as I say, and all that

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use