The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Updating the Enclosure Handler

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Updating the Enclosure Handler Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Updating the Enclosure Handler
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

A long while back, I created a simple enclosure handler for BottomFeeder. It's pretty basic; it wakes up at night, checks your feeds for enclosures, and downloads them. The basic implementation had some issues though, based on the workings of VisualWorks. At present (this is slated to be fixed for the Winter release), http downloads proceed in memory. For things like your average HTML/XML page, that's fine. For things like podcasts and vlogs though, it can cause problems. Additionally, the initial implementation forked off a thread per download. Combine those two and you get to "all memory used up" pretty darn fast.

I changed it to do linear downloads, and I've also created a small application that just does downloads based on a settings file. So the manager will now look for that separate app, and if it finds it, dish off downloads to it. That way, any over-use of memory doesn't impact the main app, and long downloads won't tie up the normal operation of the tool.

I haven't released any of that yet, because I want to give it a real world test first. Next week, I'm heading to Cincinnati, so I'll get a chance to try it out. If it all works as I expect, I'll push the new stuff up for download.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Read: Updating the Enclosure Handler

Topic: An interview with Randy Miller about VSTS, TSF, MSF and Agile (1/2) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Environment Nazi

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use