The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Hardy Perennials of IT Reporting

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Hardy Perennials of IT Reporting Posted: Jul 28, 2006 1:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Hardy Perennials of IT Reporting
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I'm catching up on my trade journal reading, and I've gotten all the way up to the July 17th ComputerWorld. In that, I ran across this article which predicts which skills will be hot, and which will be cold, in 2010. Some of the predictions make a lot of sense - for instance, they predict that you'll need a storage administrator. Heck, with how cheap storage is getting, I might need one in my house :)

Others make less sense - here's one that's been predicted for years now on Application Development:

By 2010, applications will become commodities delivered by external service providers. Internal development won't be dead, though -- it will just be done differently in 2010, Foote says. The challenge will be selecting packages and tailoring them to what you need. "Code-writing disappears in this world, unless it's code-writing in customer-facing applications that offer strategic advantage," he adds.

That glosses over the obvious fallout from so many large ERP installations: tailoring third party applications is never as simple as management would like to think. Admittedly, there's a caveat above: "applications that offer strategic advantage". The question that ought to arise is this: "Will installing this third party package require us to change our processes?" Unless your company is small and nimble, a "yes" answer to that question should make you pause. Process changes become political footballs in companies, and that benefits no one. In many cases, it will be far, far cheaper to custom build something that follows your existing process simply to avoid the political issues.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Read: Hardy Perennials of IT Reporting

Topic: Expectations and Reality Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Communication haiku

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use