The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
A General Web Problem

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
A General Web Problem Posted: Jul 17, 2006 8:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: A General Web Problem
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scoble points out that there's a huge measurement problem for podcasting:

Speaking of which, I wish I had better metrics at PodTech.net. I wish I knew how many listeners we REALLY have. Or, whether the people who download a file actually listen to it. Or, whether they listen to the whole file, or just part of it.
Podcasting and video podcasting won’t be taken seriously as businesses until we figure this stuff out. Advertisers want proof that their money is spent well.

I'd say that it's a general web problem - heck, I'd say that it's been a general TV and radio issue for awhile too. Advertisers trust the Nielson ratings, but how good are they, really? I have no idea, and I doubt that you do, either. "Everyone" decided to trust them, and that was that.

The web makes that kind of rating system difficult - heck, the proliferation of cables services made that difficult for TV. The theory is, you can find a (relatively small) segment of representative viewers, and translate their habits to the entire market. That's very different than measuring sales - at the end of the month, Frito-Lay (to take an example) knows exactly how many bags of what they've sold (and where). We have nothing like that. I listen to podcasts while jogging now, and I have a pretty low "bored now" threshold. I've bailed on more than one podcast, and I'm sure others have as well.

It's worse than that though. In the old days, there were a handful of TV choices - so if you polled a decent sample as to what they watched, it translated up pretty well. TV has gone narrowcast now - I have over 500 channels now, and what we watch is all over the map (the DVRs only make it more fragmentary). The web started out as a narrowcast service, and it's getting more and more that way all the time. I don't even know that we can get reliable numbers that mean much.

Technorati Tags: ,

Read: A General Web Problem

Topic: Nightmares and Dreamscapes Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: More Camp CST Pics

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use