The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Agile Development and DSM at XP2006

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Steven Kelly

Nickname: stevek

Steven Kelly is CTO at MetaCase and lead developer of the MetaEdit+ Domain-Specific Modeling tool
Agile Development and DSM at XP2006 Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Steven Kelly.
Original Post: Agile Development and DSM at XP2006
Feed Title: Steven Kelly on DSM
Feed URL: http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/stevek-rss.xml
Feed Description: Domain-Specific Modeling: A Toolmaker Perspective
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Steven Kelly
Latest Posts From Steven Kelly on DSM

Advertisement

I'm really pleased to announce that Microsoft and MetaCase -- in the persons of Alan Cameron Wills and myself -- will be co-operating once again to run the Workshop on Agile Develoment with Domain-Specific Languages at XP2006, June 19th. Last year the workshop was in Sheffield, UK, which was great for Alan; this time it's in Oulu, Finland, so a nice piece of symmetry for the co-organizers. And while Sheffield has nice cutlery factories ;-), Oulu has the midnight sun, which has to be seen to be believed: beautiful! Ah OK, the Pennine hills around Sheffield are beautiful too: I grew up around there, and really enjoyed last year's train ride through the hills from Manchester to Sheffield.

The theme of the workshop is "DSM with full code generation: the ultimate refactoring tool?". As someone who practices XP (admittedly as poorly as everything else I do), it's been fascinating to see the parallels it has with DSM. Pretty much all the agile practices can be transferred straight into modeling -- Agile Modeling is one way, sort of, but it's when you can build your own modeling language and generators that things really start coming into focus. Here's the workshop blurb:

This workshop will continue the success of last year in investigating the application of Domain Specific Languages within Agile development. A Domain Specific Language (DSL) is designed to express the requirements and solutions of a particular business or architectural domain. SQL, GUI designers, workflow languages and regular expressions are familiar examples. In recent years, Domain-Specific Modeling has yielded spectacular productivity improvements in domains such as telephony and embedded systems. By creating graphical or textual languages specific to the needs of an individual project or product line within one company, DSM offers maximum agility. With current tools, creating a language and related tool support is fast enough to make DSM a realistic possibility for projects of all sizes.
...and to refactor, you just change the generator!

It's just under four weeks to the start of the workshop, and three to the deadline for submissions (freeform and relaxed, like everything at XP!). I already know of one customer and one reader of this blog who is going to be there -- hope you can make it too!

Read: Agile Development and DSM at XP2006

Topic: Smalltalk on .NET? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Paying the Rent

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use