The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Trust and neutrality

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Trust and neutrality Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:57 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Trust and neutrality
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

James Governor:

This has to be the best first sentence to a blog ever: "When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission."
Oh to be able to say that. Al Gore eat your heart out. Heck- Dave Winer eat your heart out.
"Democracy depends on freedom of speech. Freedom of connection, with any application, to any party, is the fundamental social basis of the Internet, and, now, the society based on it.
Let's see whether the United States is capable as acting according to its important values, or whether it is, as so many people are saying, run by the misguided short-term interested of large corporations.
I hope that Congress can protect net neutrality, so I can continue to innovate in the internet space. I want to see the explosion of innovations happening out there on the Web, so diverse and so exciting, continue unabated."

He's almost got it, but then misses at the end. Note the call to have Congress protect the net. Hmm. That's worked out so well for radio and tv, hasn't it? You mark my words: If Congress passes a "net neutrality" law, it will turn the US based portion of the net into a "public utility". Once it's a public utility, then there will be a need to "protect" us from various bad things - after all, just like broadcast TV, anyone can see the net. So content regulations "for the children" will pop up - call George Carlin about the 7 forbidden words. The kinds of campaign (political) restrictions you see on radio and tv will hop over too - suddenly, any advocacy for a candidate will be an "in kind" contribution.

You want "net neutrality"? Then don't advocate for Congress to create it.

Read: Trust and neutrality

Topic: Google Videos on Software Testing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The entire experience matters

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use