The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Solving the Wrong Problem

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Solving the Wrong Problem Posted: Jun 6, 2006 4:58 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Solving the Wrong Problem
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I guess this qualifies as "if I can't see it happening, it's not work" - HP is moving some of their IT staff away from telecommuting and back to office life:

The architect of the HP division's change, Randy Mott, is regarded by Wall Street as a mastermind of operational efficiency based on his days as chief information officer at Wal-Mart Stores and Dell. Since joining HP as CIO in July, Mott's philosophy on building a strong IT workforce starkly contrasts with that of competitors, who encourage telecommuting to retain skilled workers who desire better work/life balance.

Mott said by bringing IT employees together to work as teams in offices, the less-experienced employees who aren't performing well -- which there are "a lot of" -- can learn how to work more effectively.

In an office, "you're able to put teams together that can learn very aggressively and rapidly from each other,'' he said.

The problem is right there in the second paragraph. If there are "a lot" of ineffective employees, then you have a problem that won't be solved by putting them in an office. What you have is a management problem.

Now, not everyone is capable of working out of a home office - some people really do need the close, daily interaction with other staff in order to be effective. I rather expect that this move will lower morale in the group in question though, and will lead to the higher performing staff jumping ship. I think it would have worked out better to identify the ineffectual employees and replace them. That would have required actual management effort though, which this guy clearly didn't want to expend.

Read: Solving the Wrong Problem

Topic: A Maze of little threads Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Simple File I/O Demo

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use