The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Bottom Feeder on Mac OS-X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Bottom Feeder on Mac OS-X Posted: Oct 7, 2003 12:49 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Bottom Feeder on Mac OS-X
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement
Thanks to hints and help from James Robertson, I'm now posting this from my new iMac box (er, uh, blob). Here's the blow by blow of how to do it.

First of all you download and uncompress the folder. I just put the folder on my desktop. You have to create a folder called "Bottom Feeder.app" in your /Applications folder. But just creating a new one, won't get the "bundle" bit set right. And having another app there helps to get the tree structure right too. So do something like:

cd /Applications
cp -R Safari.app Bottom\ Feeder.app
cd Bottom\ Feeder/Contents
cd MacOS
rm -rf *
cd ../Resources
rm -rf *
cd ..
cp /bottomFeeder .
Now you have to edit the PkgInfo and the Info.plist files. The info.plist file is an xml-ized dictionary. You need to change references of Safari (or whatever .app you cloned) to bottomFeeder (in particular the name of the "executable"). I have not yet experimented with just how many of these Info.plist entries are mandatory. The PkgInfo file is easy. It just needs to read APPL???? on one line.

That done, you can go back to your original folder, and double click on the bottomFeeder.im file. It won't have an application associated with it yet, so you have to "choose application". The tricky part here (for me) was that it would not highlight Bottom Feeder until I changed it from "Preferred Applications" to "All Applications".

Read: Bottom Feeder on Mac OS-X

Topic: Virtual Machines: a reprise Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Patience, Grasshopper

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use