The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
one size fits none

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Kevin Rutherford

Nickname: spinach

Kevin Rutherford is an independent agile software development coach based in the UK
one size fits none Posted: May 31, 2006 2:20 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Kevin Rutherford.
Original Post: one size fits none
Feed Title: silk and spinach
Feed URL: http://silkandspinach.net/blog/index.xml
Feed Description: kevin rutherford on agile software development and life in macclesfield
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Kevin Rutherford
Latest Posts From silk and spinach

Advertisement

Dave Nicolette tells what happened when Jon Kern (one of the originators of the Agile Manifesto) gave a talk on agile development to the managers in a large corporation's IT department.

"Jon knows his stuff, and the content of his presentation was right on the mark. But I got the distinct impression he is unaccustomed to dealing with an ignorant, hostile audience. He answered their questions in a way that suggested he had overestimated their knowledge of the underlying concepts. His answers would have been appropriate for an audience that already had a general idea what agile methods were about, and who were looking for a little more information. Instead, he had an audience who would rather stick their fingers in their ears and chant "La, la, la!" than to be confronted with the possibility that Firesign Theatre had been right all along.
Dave doesn't say what forces brought Jon into his workplace, and I'm guessing when I say it has all the hallmarks of management preaching. Does it do any good? I don't know. In every situation like this (I'm guilty of having done it myself) there will be those among the audience who are ready to hear the message, and for whom this is exactly the spur they need to jump in with both feet. And there will also be those who are antagonistic to the idea, and who entrench themselves even more after such an exercise. excluded Mary Poppendieck suggests that the nay-sayers should be disenfranchised, pushed out into the corridor while the rest get on with whole-hearted enthusiatic agile adoption. Presumably because that's the cheapest option in both the long and short term. These lost souls will then either leave (she hopes) or try to change things back, or snipe and spit from the sidelines. Only the first of these presents a win-win opportunity, but surely it doesn't have to be done that way? Is it just possible that those folks actually have something valuable to contribute as the organisation moves forward? Or is the cost of including them too high, when everyone else just wants to get on with it. Include or exclude, the result will depend on the individual. And those around them. What forces created an organisation whose strategy is heading one way (towards agility) while some of its staff actively oppose that strategy? Was someone being less than authentic when the hiring was done? Or has someone in a leadership position learned something that ultimately will require a different workforce? Useful to know the difference when attempting to instigate change...

Read: one size fits none

Topic: XMen: Last Stand Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Just Stuff about Development

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use