The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Quick, Panic! But Buy from me first

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Quick, Panic! But Buy from me first Posted: May 28, 2006 5:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Quick, Panic! But Buy from me first
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Oracle's chief security officer farted in public the other day:

Things are so bad in the software business that it has become "a national security issue," with regulation of the industry currently on the agenda, she said. "I did an informal poll recently of chief security officers on the CSO Council, and a lot of them said they really thought the industry should be regulated," she said, referring to the security think tank.

Oooh, regulation of the industry. There's a thought. Pray tell, what "best practices" are you planning to recommend? The ones espoused by the CMM advocates? Or perhaps the Agilists? Maybe something else entirely? There's nothing even vaguely resembling consensus on this stuff. We can't agree on what kind of development tools or methodologies to use, and this clown wants to warn us about regulation? Here she is again:

Davidson also hit out at the "hacking mentality," and the incidence of exploits that could cause "a million dollars worth of damage...passed around freely at conferences." She said there was a major difference between people working in the software business and engineers who "are trained to think in terms of safety, security and reliability first."

Those engineers have recognized standards to follow, you bloviating moron. Software developers simply don't. Not even close. Of course, if you want to realize just how big of a jerk this woman is, you need only read the last quote:

She claimed that the British are particularly good at hacking as they have "the perfect temperament to be hackers--technically skilled, slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of criminal behavior."

There's a way to improve sales and motivate people - be condescending and oafish all at once. I think Davidson needs a vacation - a very long vacation.

Read: Quick, Panic! But Buy from me first

Topic: Lost cliffhanger Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Cross Dialect Monticello

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use