The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The Code Grouping Mess

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The Code Grouping Mess Posted: Oct 6, 2003 11:30 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The Code Grouping Mess
Feed Title: Richard Demers Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rademers-rss.xml
Feed Description: Richard Demers on Smalltalk
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Richard Demers Blog

Advertisement

Categories, packages, parcels, namespaces, and now annotations. What a confusing mess! This all stems from what appear to be confusing objectives. Packages and parcels have to do with code configuration. Categories and annotations have to do with organizing classes so they can be easily found by programmers. Namespaces are a way to identify, group, and scope shared resources. And just recently, someone (I forget who) provided a goodie for creating a namespace for each package created.

What is being forgotten is the need to create and ship high-quality, independent subsystems. Any competent engineer (in any other engineering discipline) understands the mantra: "To create good systems, create good subsystems." But there is a complete lack of recognition and support for subsystems in Smalltalk (and every other programming language). And that leads to the code grouping mess we now have in Smalltalk.

We never get to a higher level of entity than "groups of objects." Objects are like atoms, but we never get to a higher level than "groups of atoms," that we don't even recognize as being "molecules." We need "cells" and "organs" and other higher level entities (subsystems) in the software hierarchy. Objects, by themselves, are not enough.

The problem we have isn't just one of grouping code and resources for ease of programming and compiling and packaging. We need to step back and ask what is needed to properly support subsystems, and what tools are needed to do that job. This analysis will lead to code groupings that are themselves proper subsystems.

I suppose I am pissing into the wind one more time, but I have applied these concepts to major software projects, and I have seen them applied to a major operating system. They work.

Read: The Code Grouping Mess

Topic: LordOfTheLayouts Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Blog Comment Issues

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use