The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
throughput accounting measurement units

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Kevin Rutherford

Nickname: spinach

Kevin Rutherford is an independent agile software development coach based in the UK
throughput accounting measurement units Posted: May 25, 2006 8:38 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Kevin Rutherford.
Original Post: throughput accounting measurement units
Feed Title: silk and spinach
Feed URL: http://silkandspinach.net/blog/index.xml
Feed Description: kevin rutherford on agile software development and life in macclesfield
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Kevin Rutherford
Latest Posts From silk and spinach

Advertisement

Earlier today I was reading about the key business measures used in the Theory of Constraints, and running some examples in my head while I tried to make sure I understood exactly what was being said. Here's what I learned...

To recap, the only business measures considered by TOC are

Throughput (T)
Cash receipts for actual sales, minus the cost of the raw materials used towards those sales.
Operating Expense (OE)
The expenditure required to produce what we sold, including heat/light, payroll etc.
Investment (I)
The money invested up front, or tied up in the operation. This includes depreciation on machinery, buildings, and other assets and liabilities.
These can be combined to give other measures; for example return on investment:
ROI = (T - OE)/I
(For more detail see throughput accounting on Wikipedia, for example.)

What struck me were the units used to express these measures. The only one I've seen explicitly stated was Throughput, which is expressed as "cash receipts per unit of time" - let's call it dollars-per-day. So in order for the ROI calculation to make arithmetical sense, operating expense (OE) must also be measured in dollars-per-day. So far so good.

Now I had been expecting Investment (I) to simply be a sum of money. But in that case ROI would turn out to have units of "per-day", which is clearly nonsense. So Investment must also be measured in dollars-per-day, and now I see that makes sense too. And in turn, this all implies that ROI is just a number, a scalar value. (Better perhaps to express it as a ratio or a percentage - so that an ROI of 1.50 is easier to understand as a 3:2 return or a 150% return.) Other traditional measures are calculated as follows:

Net profit (NP) = T-OE
Return on investment (ROI) = NP/I
Productivity (P) = T/OE
Investment turns (IT) = T/I

If my logic above is correct, Net Profit is expressed in dollars-per-day and all the others turn out to be scalar, unit-less numbers - and that alone helps me understand them much more.

Read: throughput accounting measurement units

Topic: Better Save your quarters Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Tipping Point and Agile Software Development

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use