The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Glass Bubbles

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Glass Bubbles Posted: May 15, 2006 6:08 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Glass Bubbles
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scoble from Middle America:

So, I've been thinking about what it'll take to get these folks to try something new. Hey, the iPod still hasn't gotten here, so don't even ask about podcasting, RSS, or tagging. Interestingly enough, blogging has been heard about here. One older lady who visited my mom saw that I was blogging and she said "oh, blogs are the things that's keeping the media honest."
Heh. The things that get heard here in a small town in middle America.

Two things come to mind reading that. First, the condescension for "fly over" country. I don't think it's even a conscious thing for Scoble, but there it is. I rather expect that if he headed on over to the local high school, he'd find a more tech savvy audience.

Second, he could come and ask the parents of my daughter's girl scout troop about tagging, podcasting, RSS (et. al.). We live 30 miles from Washington DC, in the heart of "bi-coastal" America. And believe me, none of them would have any more awareness of that stuff than the people out there in Montana.

The funny thing is, the "keeping the media honest" thing is more relevant than any of the other stuff Scoble mentioned. It has more of an impact on day to day life for most people. There's a huge bubble all right - and way too many people on the two coasts live smack in the middle of it.

Read: Glass Bubbles

Topic: First Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: feedback, flow and friction

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use