The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Answering the Enterprise Architect

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Answering the Enterprise Architect Posted: May 9, 2006 4:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Answering the Enterprise Architect
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

James McGovern gives some advice to me:

Minimally consider becoming an advocate of all developer tools to become 100% free of charge. This has happened in several other communities where developer seats are now free but the charge remains for production server implementations. This positions Smalltalk and similar tools that still have legacy models behind them to now be learned by folks in countries such as India where they can gain critical mass in order to support large enterprises who may consider developing with the tools.

Well, it turns out that Cincom Smalltalk is free for non-commercial use already - it's only when you deploy it that you need to pay for a license. Simply download it from our site, and use the online tutorials. He mentioned open source first; I'll point out that Java is not open source, and has spread quite widely. When you grab Cincom Smalltalk, all the sources are available. For commercial users, that includes the VM.

Figure out a way to get the folks over at RedMonk and other analyst firms to change their perception that Smalltalk is dead or has been delegated to minor-league status within the enterprise. Start first by adding influential industry analysts to your blogroll. I would suggest starting with Brenda Michelson and James Governor.

Actually, I read (and link to) James Governor fairly often. I don't always agree with him, but I like his take on things. As to this:

While you are adding folks to your blogroll, consider also adding several enterprise architects from Fortune enterprises. Don't attack them and instead engage in a meaningful dialog with them. Never alienate potential customers.

Well, maybe it's a personality flaw. I call things the way I see them. When I see stuff I like, I say nice things about them. When I see stuff I don't like, I say not so nice things. A suggestion back, though: you'll note that I don't do politics here. There's a reason for that; it's because I figure that people with different worldviews still have money to spend. Those pictures McGovern uses on his blog? They create a perception problem.

Read: Answering the Enterprise Architect

Topic: It works better when you plug it in Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Further Reading on WWI and Beyond

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use