The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Macnificent Things Have Happened!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Macnificent Things Have Happened! Posted: Oct 2, 2003 5:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Macnificent Things Have Happened!
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement
In 1995, I used some of my own money to buy my first computer. It was an Apple Performa 6300. It had 1 Gig HD, 100 MHz 603 processor, 32 MB of RAM. Since then, that (and a plethora of second hand Wintel) boxes have been the computing mainstay in my home.

For a while now, I've had my eyes on another Mac. Yesterday, after watching it wander across the US via UPS tracking web pages, my shiny new 17" flat screen iMac (iLamp) arrived. It's amazing the thing is more than order of magnitude in just about every respect. Disc is 80G, processor is 1250 Mhz, RAM is 728 MB. I payed less for it than I did the Performa, and this time I got all kinds of "extra" gadgets.

The thing is really a feat to look at, both cosmetically as well as from an engineering POV. My 5 year old son just kept saying "wow Dad, dis is a cool comb-pooter!" His sister replied "It's just a compu... <the DVD drive popped out of the flush hemispherical blob> whoah! This IS a cool computer Dad!"

So, I'm once again a "current" Mac owner, for another couple of months at least. With this machine, I think I'd like to be a bit more of a power user than I was with our old Mac though. If anyone knows of good resources (print or online) for becoming so, I'd appreciate pointers. One thing that just thrilled me, was that I could use my Unix knowledge on this machine. For some reason, I couldn't get Safari to do a couple of different ftp downloads (it does the http ones fine), one in particular being an updated printer driver for the Epson All-In-One that came with it. Popped open a terminal, ftp'd by command line to the site, and ripped it right down. Very satisfying.

Read: Macnificent Things Have Happened!

Topic: Psyche outs in sports Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Back to Basics?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use