The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Blog Comment Issues

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Blog Comment Issues Posted: Oct 2, 2003 11:09 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Blog Comment Issues
Feed Title: Richard Demers Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rademers-rss.xml
Feed Description: Richard Demers on Smalltalk
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Richard Demers Blog

Advertisement

Regarding Michael Lucas-Smith's item on James Robertson blog hosting redux:

Michael, thanks for the links to the comment feeds. I didn't know they existed. Having now added them and looked them over, it is apparent that we (the aggregator community) don't know what to do with comments. This leads to some additional questions:

1. When looking at a blog webpage, it is reasonable to append comments to the blog entry, either automatically or on-demand, but when viewing a blog through its RSS feed, then what? BottomFeeder allows you to send a comment on a blog item, but it currently has no way to display comments, never mind in a way that associates comments with specific items. In my redesign of the BottomFeeder domain model, I defined comments as a hierarchy of elements that have an item as their root. This leads me to think it would be appropriate to make the displayed item list into a tree, with only the items of a feed initially displayed, and the possibility of opening an item's tree of comments on-demand.
  2. How should the comments on an item be communicated? Using up a separate RSS file for comments is awkward, at best, though it would be possible for an aggregator to associate a blog feed with its comment feed and merge them appropriately. A better alternative is to include comments in the blog feed, as is allowed by the RSS 2.0 spec and by the Well Formed Web Comment API module. Getting bloggers to do this, however, is another matter entirely.
  3. If I, a blogger, want to comment on someone else's item, then I have two choices. First, I can use the BottomFeeder "Send Comment on Item" facility. My comment ends up on the other person's blog, but I have no record of having sent it on my system. Second, I can add an entry to my own blog, with a reference and a trackback to the original item. But then the original blog item has only a possibility of a trackback to my blog, and nothing to integrate into its tree of comments on the original item.

Read: Blog Comment Issues

Topic: Re: New Mac Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Blogs for business

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use