The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Consensus Decision Making

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Simon Baker

Nickname: sjb140470

Simon Baker is an independent consultant, agile coach and scrum master
Consensus Decision Making Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:17 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Simon Baker.
Original Post: Consensus Decision Making
Feed Title: Agile In Action
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AgileInAction
Feed Description: Energized Work's blog.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Simon Baker
Latest Posts From Agile In Action

Advertisement
A unanimous agreement reached by a team is better than a decision made by any individual team member because it embodies an idea that's shared and supported by each team member and provides a solid impetus for action. Each team member has a veto because each team member needs to agree for unanimity. A team commited to reaching unanimous agreement continue the discussion until they arrive at a solution that takes all the team member's needs into account.

It can be difficult to reach consensus when the decision is binary, i.e. either yes or no. Consensus is not about making compromises nor about being coerced into a decision your not comfortable with. Using a gradient of agreement helps a team reach consensus even when some team members are not overly enthusiastic about the decision. It enables team members to express their support or opposition as a point on a scale.

Gradient of Agreement

Let the team devise their own gradient of agreement and post it where it's always visible. Here's one that I have used previously.
  • 5 = Endorsement. I love it.
  • 4 = Agreement with reservation. Basically I like it.
  • 3 = Mixed feelings. I can live with it and support it.
  • 2 = Disagreement. I have trouble supporting it.
  • 1 = Veto. I can't support it and I don't think we should move forward.
To reach consensus all votes need to be 3 or above. Any below and the team needs to engage in conflict resolution to evaluate recommendations and alternatives that can lead to a consensus.

Voting

Here's 5 ways to conduct voting:
  1. Have a show of hands.
  2. Go around the room asking each team member to state their vote, and why.
  3. Have each team member write their vote on an index card and then have everyone hold up their card at the same time.
  4. Hold a secret ballot. Each team member write their votes on an index card. Collect the index cards and tally the score.
  5. Have two rounds of voting. The first vote is preliminary and is followed by a discussion. The second vote is final.

Read: Consensus Decision Making

Topic: Enterprisey Dreams Redux Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Enterprisey Dreams

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use