The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
@Stake Firing thoughts

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
@Stake Firing thoughts Posted: Oct 1, 2003 5:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: @Stake Firing thoughts
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
The @Stake firing of Dan Geer has been widely reported by now, but I've just been loiking at the ComputerWorld story in print. This thing is uglier than I thought:

The day after the report's release, co-author Dan Geer was fired from his job as chief technology officer at Cambridge, Mass.-based @stake Inc., a security company that derives a hefty percentage of its income from Microsoft. Moreover, the firing was made retroactive to Sept. 23 so that @stake could further distance itself from Geer and the report, sources close to the situation said.

An @stake official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Geer was fired and said that as a corporate officer he should have known that Microsoft was a client of the company. "It's not a matter of the content of the report; it's a matter of ethics and respect for clients," the official said.

Hear that sucking sound? It's the sound of @Stake's management team kissing up to Microsoft. The funny thing is, the firing makes Microsoft look bad as well - I think I'd stop doing business with a partner that made me look that bad. I'm sure there were some interesting conversations in Redmond over this, and I bet that the firing made MS officials far, far angrier than the report - the report could be spun - the firing is very, very hard to spin. Regardless of the reality of the situation, lots of people are going to assume that MS played the heavy on this.

Read: @Stake Firing thoughts

Topic: Good news on software patents Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java, C# - no difference

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use