The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Cooperative Threading

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Cooperative Threading Posted: Mar 12, 2006 9:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Cooperative Threading
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Ayend Rahien spotten my post on cooperative scheduling, and had a comment:

Cooperative threads relies on programmers' disipline to yield often enough to make sure that other threads are not starved. I can see several cases for doing this in SQL Server, since this can ensure that you'll not be pre-empted before you finished. I would guess that this is a good way to reduce locks in certain situation, since in this scenario you know that you will not be interrupted until you are ready. Windows 3.1 and Mac OS before X proved that this just doesn't work in the general case. A single ruoge application can take hold on the whole system.

Well, in Cincom Smalltalk, this model gives you predictability - you know exactly what a thread is going to do. The issue with runaway threads rarely comes up for a simple reason - most processes end up pausing for I/O (user input, db access, file access, sockets - what have you). That wait for I/O state is what prevents a problem from arising. Sure, if you create a CPU bound process, you can hose a system - I even blogged about that kind of issue here, in terms of a CPU bound process taking up too much time in this blog server.

What it looks like the SQL Server team spotted is something common to an awful lot of applications - CPU hogging is fairly rare, while processes getting into an I/O wait state are pretty common. As to worrying about thread management - I've worked with a lot of customer code, and I've dealt with application level threading extensively in Silt and BottomFeeder. With the exception of a few expensive operations in the Silt server, I've not had to devote a lot of thought to the problem. And even there, the problem had already been solved for me, by some Smalltalk library developer a long time ago.

Read: Cooperative Threading

Topic: The Book Deficit Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Editors, or no Editors?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use