The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Stupid Response of the Week Award

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Stupid Response of the Week Award Posted: Mar 11, 2006 11:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Stupid Response of the Week Award
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I had to decide whether this belonged under 'security' or 'stupidity' - I decided that the latter was far more descriptive. There's a report out on a fairly serious loss of data by Citibank (and a bunch of other banks) - someone hacked into a system and stole a bunch of card data - including the PIN numbers - for a set of debit cards. The stupidity is in this quote:

"This is the worst hack ever," Litan maintained. "It's significant because not only is it a really wide-spread breach, but it affects debit cards, which everyone thought were immune to these kinds of things."

Unlike credit cards, debit cards offer an additional level of security: the password-like Personal Identification Number, or PIN.

"That's the irony, the PIN was supposed to make debit cards secure," Litan said. "Up until this breach, everyone thought ATMS and PINs could never be compromised."

Who exactly is "everyone"? The dumber flacks in the PR department? And to cap it off, here's her non-solution solution:

"Security is tight at the ATM, but point-of-sale is a whole other story," said Litan. "Look at your [debit card] account on a regular basis, and don't use a PIN-based debit card at point-of-sale," she recommended. "I never do."

Yeah, I'd much rather carry my checkbook with me everywhere, like it was 1978 all over again. Another thing - a regular credit card at the POS won't be any safer from a fraud standpoint - if the stores aren't careful with the data, then it doesn't much matter.

Read: Stupid Response of the Week Award

Topic: The Archives work better Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Stamping out Heresy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use