The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Application Mashups

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Application Mashups Posted: Mar 9, 2006 7:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Application Mashups
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Tim Bray posted a brief set of comments on Ray Ozzie's ETech talk:

He’s pumped about RSS as “the DNA to wire the web”; the connective tissue between active websites. He talks about “Composite Applications”; for example, Unix pipes are weaving together a composite app. Claims < is like “copy”, | like “cut”, and > like “paste”. Then the question arises: “Where is the clipboard of the Web?”

The demo was “Live Clipboard” (integrated with Windows clipboard). “Great way to bridge from Web to PC”. Smart, structured, tagged data on the clipboard. You can paste in a feed object, which then remains dynamic.

Granted, it was pretty well pasted-together vaporware. But the idea might have legs.

I have to admit to being a huge skeptic about the mashup idea. Sure, there have been a few interesting demos on the web, and I'm sure that some mashups might even be useful. However - it's still a house of cards, as far as I'm concerned. Why?

• Who's going to create a mission critical application that depends on some foreign (i.e., not under your control) component that is remote? What happens if it goes offline, or if the people controlling it change the API?
  • Non-demo applications tend to have non-trivial APIs, which tend to require intense communication to hammer out. I don't see that happening amongst disconnected groups.

For some social applications like wikis and blogs, sure - this will work fine. For other stuff? I'm completely unconvinced.

Read: Application Mashups

Topic: Memo to IT Departments Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Weekly Log Analysis, 3/4/06

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use