The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
What I'm Reading

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
What I'm Reading Posted: Mar 5, 2006 9:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: What I'm Reading
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I continue my tack of reading more than one book at once, which only slows the whole effort down. I'm still reading "Grant's Memoirs" - reading his thoughts about the northern press tells me that frustration with the media is hardly a new thing in American history. Then, I started reading "The Crusades Though Arab Eyes", which is a fascinating piece. It's compiled from contemporary Arab sources, and opens a whole new window on the era. Good stuff, I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in that period of history. Finally, reading about the Crusades got me interested in the entire area of religious fanaticism - I read two books by Bernard Lewis recently, on the fanaticism that is prevalent in the Islamic world right now. I picked up "The Thirty Years War" by Victoria Wedgewood, because the West went through its own era of religious fanaticism in the wake of the Protestant schism with the Catholic church. It's a well written book, and is giving me a decent background in that period - about which I knew just about nothing previously. Again, if you want some balanced background on the topic, this book is highly recommended - the author's style makes for a good read.

Read: What I'm Reading

Topic: Sneak Preview in Omaha Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: About the eaten comments

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use