The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
More than one kind of Tool in the RSS Space

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
More than one kind of Tool in the RSS Space Posted: Feb 20, 2006 6:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: More than one kind of Tool in the RSS Space
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Sheesh, you would think that an effort to clean up some of the more ambiguous areas of RSS would be getting Kudos. Instead, we have Dave Winer and his consistent inability to work with others:

It concerns me to see five companies, Newsgator, SixApart, SocialText, Feedburner and Technorati, give themselves special position among the many companies using RSS, especially since UserLand unilaterally gave up its special position with respect to RSS. It seems to me this is an issue that should be discussed publicly.

That's right Dave - those small companies are going to ruin the universe as we know it. We had some sensible reaction from Sam Ruby, who said (in part):

Being allowed to clarify the specification is one thing. Whether or not others feel like Nick does is yet another. In the long run, the success of the work currently under the working title of RSS 2.0.2 depends little on what Harvard thinks, but instead depends very much on what people like Nick and companies like Microsoft actually do.

The leadership that Rogers is providing has been exemplary. I’ve been quietly aligning the Feed Validator RSS 2.0 test cases to track to the drafts that he has produced. I believe this work is important and should continue.

That resulted in a pathetic cry for attention from Steve Gillmor:

I've developed a new spray that detects b*******. I can't talk too much about the technology until the product launch, but I will demonstrate its usefullness by spraying it on this post by Sam Ruby:

I thought everything was about Dave, but apparently, the stuff that isn't is about Steve.

Now, back in the day, when Atom was first being talked about, I was pretty darn hostile. This was back before I really understood what a complete jerk Dave Winer is, and how utterly impossible he is to work with. The Atom group had a lot of discussions that looked trivial, but they moved the ball forward and worked on some of the problems that just cannot be addressed in RSS - due to the complete lack of understanding shown by Winer. Over time, here's how it's going to fall out. The name RSS will stick - it's become generic, in the same way that the term "Kleenex" has. However, most people doing serious work in the field will use Atom. At least there, they'll find a group of people who's first thought isn't to deny the possibility of problems.

Read: More than one kind of Tool in the RSS Space

Topic: Blog Real Estate has value Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Smalltalk in Brussels

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use