The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Of Windows updating....

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Of Windows updating.... Posted: Sep 26, 2003 2:32 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Of Windows updating....
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Scoble points to some suggestions for Windows Update. There's one I vehemently disagree with: making critical updates mandatory. Or worse, as rumor has it, make the updates a requirement of the license. The updates aren't tested well enough for that. Let me give an example:
  • After the last critical update I applied, IE stopped being able to use proxy servers. And the one I need to work with is IIS. Now, whenever I need to use VPN, I fire up Netscape - it actually works
  • After a critical update to my wife's system, it stopped being able to get a dhcp address from the Linksys router at boot. Every reboot, networking had to be manually set up until we bailed and just gave it a static IP.

Is it any wonder that I tend to hit Remind me later on updates? My experience with them is decidedly negative. Now, I know that updates can be hard - I've screwed up BottomFeeder updates via insufficient testing. On the other hand, MS is a big company with lots of testing staff; Bf is a small effort by 2 people, with occasional help from others. Windows Update needs to work a lot better before most people will feel comfortable with it.

Read: Of Windows updating....

Topic: SCRUM Talk in Switzerland Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Well, that was quick

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use