The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Late Movers in a Market

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Late Movers in a Market Posted: Feb 17, 2006 8:16 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Late Movers in a Market
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

In the internet access market, we can see the very definition of the late movers - the people who do not yet have broadband access. Here's a report that goes through that in some detail, and of the people who don't have broadband, it's not all what you might think:

So why are some dial-up users resisting the tide? According to a new survey from the Yankee Group, the most common reason US consumers don't subscribe to broadband is that it's too expensive. Despite promotional price cuts for DSL (which often cover slower connection speeds and eventually expire, shooting the price up), broadband is more costly than dial-up, especially for truly high speeds. Presumably, dial-up consumers have little need for tasks beyond e-mail, IM and simple Web browsing, which are doable through broadband, and want to keep their monthly expenses low.

Price isn't the only factor. More than 30% of consumers say that they just don't want broadband, and about 14% say they feel dial-up is adequate for their needs. Less than 10% are not able to get broadband access in their area.

That 30% who don't actually want broadband - at least as it's currently been marketed to them - are the ones to examine, I think. I'd suspect - as this report says - that these are light users of the internet. They send emails, they browse a handful of sites; they just don't see the point in something more expensive. Getting that group to buy in won't be an easy exercise - it took my dad years to convince my uncle to move off Windows 95, and he still hasn't convinced him on broadband.

Read: Late Movers in a Market

Topic: Plugin development article translated to Chinise Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IntelliJ IDEA 5.1 : just few feedbacks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use