The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
A Rails Configuration Bug: How Ironic!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
A Rails Configuration Bug: How Ironic! Posted: Feb 15, 2006 11:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: A Rails Configuration Bug: How Ironic!
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

I started tinkering with Rails again and ran into a problem getting the Rails app talking to the database. I was copying DHH's blog video, so I was sure the Rails code was okay.

I tinkered with the setup long enough to get frustrated, upgrade MySql, add users, etc.

Then, turning to Google for the third or fourth round of searches, I found a gem. This blog entry.

It solved my problem. Which was only fair, since I'm the Jared mentioned in the post as providing the same answer last summer. :) What can I say? That was August. It's February. I've slept since then.

So, to the Rails team... I'm sure this "just works" on your Macs, and I'm getting one soon, but shouldn't the defaults be correct on the most prevalent operating system on the planet? Shouldn't the convention take over if the configuration is absent?

Add the port number to the database.yml file! Please!

Actually, I supposed I should find a page on the Rails web site and see if I can report the problem first... (this page looks like a good starting point) but I wonder how many people gave up after trying to get the database working with Rails after fifteen minutes and didn't discover the gem that is Rails?

Jared

Read: A Rails Configuration Bug: How Ironic!

Topic: Problems with Test Automation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ten-minute build, continuous integration and developer rhythm

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use