The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Just change the darn thing...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Just change the darn thing... Posted: Jan 25, 2006 5:19 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Just change the darn thing...
Feed Title: Michael Lucas-Smith
Feed URL: http://www.michaellucassmith.com/site.atom
Feed Description: Smalltalk and my misinterpretations of life
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Michael Lucas-Smith

Advertisement

In the IRC channel today I brought up the topic of changeClassTo:. I actually had a legitimate use for it for a change and I'd forgotten the exact name of the selector. Naturally, I found it 2 seconds after I asked for people to jog my memory. Smalltalk makes finding selectors very easy.

But, as these things happen, Anthony Lander suggested that I may in fact want to use changeClassToThatOf: instead of changeClassTo:. In his opinion, changeClassTo: was bad to use because you could give it an argument that wasn't a class and therefore crash the VM.

The idea being that changeClassToThatOf: takes an instance and sets your instance to have the same class as the argument. All well and good, but Rado piped in saying he didn't buy the argument. In my case, the code would require that I instantiate an instance of my class just to call the supposedly 'safe' method.

The battle raged and now I present to you the evidence for my side of the argument. Here, take a look at the two methods:

changeClassTo: aClass
	"Change the class of the receiver to aClass."

aClass adoptInstance: self.
	^self

And:

changeClassToThatOf: anObject 
	"Change the class of the receiver to the class of anObject. Fail if either the
	 receiver or anObject is immutable (which includes immediates), 
	 or if none of the following cases holds:
	1. The receiver and anObject are both byte-type.
	2. The receiver is any pointer-type object, anObject is a
	       non-indexable pointer-type object, and the storage sizes (i.e. the
	       number of named instance variables plus the number of indexed
	       instance variables, if any) of the two objects are the same.
	3. The receiver is any pointer-type object, anObject is an indexable
	       pointer-type object, and the storage size of the receiver is at least
	       as large as the number of named instance variables of anObject.
	Compare with the adoptInstance: primitive."

535 errorCode: errCode>
	^(errCode ~~ nil
	   and: [errCode name = #'no modification'])
	       ifTrue: [self noModificationErrorFor: #changeClassToThatOf: index: nil value: anObject]
	       ifFalse: [self primitiveFailed]

Now.. it seems quite clear to me which implementation is nicer. The changeClassToThatOf: calls a primitive - very unSmalltalky and the method itself is apparently not self explanatory enough, because the author included a gigantic comment. Conversely, the changeClassTo: is straight to the point, essentially one line of code.

And to put the final nail in the coffin, there is no safety issue calling changeClassTo: because it uses double dispatch, a very Smalltalky thing to do indeed. It defers the logic off to somebody who knows better by calling adoptInstance: on the class. If you give its something that isn't a class, naturally it will say, Sorry, I don't understand that.. and you can be on your merry way without having destroyed the VM.

So, in summation, I believe changeClassTo: is better than changeClassToThatOf: - but when it comes down to it, it depends on what kind of object you have at hand at the time you want to make the call. If you have an instance, use the latter, if you have the class, use the former.

Read: Just change the darn thing...

Topic: Weekly Log Analysis: 1/21/06 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Website Blues

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use