The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Further into the weeds

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Further into the weeds Posted: Jan 21, 2006 10:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Further into the weeds
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Vorlath wanders further afield:

Now we get to the real culprit. Method invocation. Allowing methods to be invoked at any time on any object is our generation's goto. This is also related to coupling, but even if you use interfaces, the problem is the same. There are no boundaries. Any object anywhere can basically create any object it wishes and start calling methods on it. I don't know about you, but most code I've seen consists of initialisation, method calls and control statements. Tracking all these method calls is what maintainers have to find out about. What do they do? Where are they? Is the source available? Can I change it if it fails? This has to be done everywhere. This is also where I see a lot of code duplication. One person does it one way. Then someone else comes along and finds an easier way to do things, but missed a few places where this same thing or something close to it is being done. Now your maintenance problem just went up exponentially. Maintainers usually know to try a compile by undefining some of the old methods, but this gets more difficult if there are other parts of your software that still need those calls or if your "easier way" uses those calls itself.

I'll agree with his assertion (not quoted above) that inheritance is overrated and over-used. However, the stuff above? How exactly do objects make this problem worse? The "initialize before use" issue does not disappear further down the food chain - I'd argue that it's easier to walk out into the weeds in C or assembly than it is in Smalltalk, for instance. I have no idea where he's going with this stuff, but so far, it's not making any sense at all.

Read: Further into the weeds

Topic: Cincom Smalltalk on Ubuntu, Gentoo Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Per Service Charges?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use