The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Syndication and Consumers

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Syndication and Consumers Posted: Jan 21, 2006 2:46 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Syndication and Consumers
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scott Karp and Paul Kedrosky apply the cluestick to those of us who live inside the techno-bubble. First Scott says Call it Subscribing:

Everyone understands subscribing. You’ve got your email newsletter subscriptions, your premium cable channel subscriptions, your magazine subscriptions (call now and subscribe to 52 weeks of…remember that?)

No one knows what “syndication” means, unless you’re talking about I Love Lucy reruns. Syndication is a publisher-centric, geek-centric term. For most people, it’s Really Simple Huh? Most people don’t even know that syndicate can be used as a verb!

Then Paul adds a few comments that likely apply widely:

Too little consistency. There is no uniformity about titles, titles plus summaries, or full-text feeds. I won't re-hash the debate on this subject, but let me just say if your feed isn't full-text it won't likely last long in my aggregator.
Too many posts. To be blunt: Faced with feeds regularly containing more than six or seven unread articles I, with rare friend-driven exceptions, usually nuke the whole list.

These are a good takedown for those of us that forget how little most people care about various and sundry things that we obsess about...

Read: Syndication and Consumers

Topic: Smalltalk Solutions 2006 Approaches Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Shocker: ex-RIAA shill doesn't like book search either

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use