The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Home Media: More Complexity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Home Media: More Complexity Posted: Jan 16, 2006 11:47 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Home Media: More Complexity
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

There was a point, just before VCR's were introduced, when home media was simple. Less feature filled than today by a lot, but simple. What I mean by that is that you would get your components, a bunch of RCA audio cables (red and white), and just plug everything in. It was pretty easy to do, and the same cables worked everywhere.

Then cable TV and the VCR arrived, and things got a little more complicated. Suddenly you had the split the cable signal and feed it through the VCR. Still not too bad, but a little harder, especially if you decided to hook your speakers through it.

Now, we've arrived at the huge ball of complexity that Russell Beattie sketched out on his site. Click over there and look at the picture - it's more than most people have in their homes, but not a lot more. In our family room, we have a ReplayTV, a Comcast cable box/DVR, and an older digital cable box just for the Replay (since it can't handle HD). There are 5 other A/V inputs in use on that TV, and most of it flows through the receiver.

The array of cabling needed to hook it all up is no longer the simple set of RCA cables - now there's component video, S-Video, coax, ethernet, and DVI. Probably other things I'm not remembering right now. It's enough to make your head swim; we have photographs of the setup taped to the back of the TV, so we can get it right without having to hand trace the cables.

Now, there's a new kicker to slap into the mix: DRM. That's the focus of James Governor's addition to this topic. It's bad enough that the equipment is hard to set up optimally - it gets worse when you get to play a delightful game of "which piece of equipment will let me play this legally owned content I have here?". James has some thoughts on the subject, and they seem reasonable to me.

Read: Home Media: More Complexity

Topic: William Shatner DVD Club Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How is HTTP-Auth like Monty Python?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use