The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
RSS Identity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
RSS Identity Posted: Jan 4, 2006 6:31 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: RSS Identity
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Gordon tackles the syndication ID issue, and mentions in passing the scheme I use on this server:

RSS 2.0, RSS 1.0, and Atom all provide a way to handle post identity: the <guid> element, the rdf:about attribute, and the <atom:id> elements, respectively. Unfortunately, not everyone provides this metadata, or does it incorrectly: for instance, CNN doesn't give you GUIDs, the Cincom weblogs just use big integers (these look like they might be dates, but I'm not sure), and PHP.NET is re-using the rdf:about attribute on different posts. The problems, from last to first: if you identify posts by GUID, re-using a GUID amounts to modifying a post, though that doesn't seem to be the intent in this case. Using big integers is poor practice, because an integer isn't a GUID. Recall that the GU part stands for globally unique : if you use integers as GUIDs, you're just hoping that there won't be a collision, especially if your protocol is to increment a counter with each new post. If you're going to use an integer for a GUID, use a really big one (128 bits or so), and use an algorithim appropriate for the purpose: counters are not appropriate.

Well, I can explain what I'm doing here. Ideally, the GUID should probably be an URL, and the scheme I'm using would allow for that. Way back when I started the codebase, that didn't seem so obvious, so I picked something I figured would be unlikely to be duped:

guid := Timestamp now asSeconds.

Meaning, the guid for a post on this server is the creation time for the post. It's unique within the context of a single image server, and unlikely to be duplicated somewhere else. As well, in the feed itself, it's clearly marked as not being an url.

Was this a great idea in the long term? Possibly not. The scheme could produce duplicate numbers (at least across different blogs) if I started using more than one image - and, if I ever changed the code to use more than one image for a given blog, I'd have real problems. On the other hand, I'd need to make multiple changes to do the latter change, so it's unlikely to happen. As for duplicate numbers across different blogs? Yeah, that's an issue, and if I ever need to cross that bridge, I'll just change the ids to urls - the ID is used by the server to identify posts, so it would be a trivial change.

If it's a trivial change, why haven't I done it? Sheer inertia. Things work at present, and I haven't been highly motivated to fix a theoretical problem. At least, not yet.

Read: RSS Identity

Topic: A fun Romp of a Movie Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Smalltalk code completion

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use