The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Eclipse or NetBeans?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
Eclipse or NetBeans? Posted: Dec 21, 2005 1:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: Eclipse or NetBeans?
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

I didn't realize there was a huge debate raging over the IDE of choice for Java developers. A friend recently forwarded me several links about the debate. I pass them on for your enjoyment.

Why Eclipse Developers Are Moving To NetBeans

Eclipse vs. NetBeans *yawn*

NetBeans vs. Eclipse - No Real Debate

After reading these entries, I think you'll agree that there is no debate. Everyone seems to agree that there can be only one winner. Now, if we can get everyone to agree on who that one winner is...

Seriously, here are a few observations.

First, competition is good. Having NetBeans chasing Eclipse will keep Eclipse sharp. And the same for NetBeans. Everyone runs faster when they are racing against someone else.

Second, if you're stuck in an IDE and don't know what it's doing for you, then you've done yourself a huge diservice. I strongly encourage you to be able to build your Java projects with Ant, your dotNet projects with Nant, and so forth.

Yes, it's more work at first, but you are buying yourself understanding. When Eclipse or NetBeans won't do what you want, you'll have an alternative. You'll also have a much better chance of understanding ~why~ things break. And it's inevitable that breaks will occur. The only question is whether or not you'll have to depend on your IDE's error messages to understand them. Don't put yourself in the position of having to switch IDEs to get a better error message.

And finally, try the other tool. Whichever one you like, try the other one. Strech your brain and learn something new. Eclipse doesn't stink. And neither does NetBeans. In fact, I really like them both. I'm actually doing a bit of work in NetBeans today. I haven't used NetBeans in at least a year but it's come a long way.

You know, if there hadn't been a raging debate, I never would've gotten around to trying out NetBeans again.

Thanks everyone!

Jared

Read: Eclipse or NetBeans?

Topic: Shakespear and Smalltalk abuse... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IM Clients question

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use