The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The Malleability of Smalltalk

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The Malleability of Smalltalk Posted: Dec 4, 2005 4:04 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The Malleability of Smalltalk
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Sometimes, when I have a modification I think would be useful for BottomFeeder, I figure it would make sense to try it out in a runtime environment before I send it off as an update. I can package the thing up as a parcel and simply load it into my application, of course - I just open the System>>Execute Smalltalk Code menu item, and enter the following into the workspace:

Parcel loadParcelFrom: 'ParcelNameHere.pcl'.

I highlight that and execute, and then answer "yes" to the confirming dialog (which pops because I'm reloading a new revision of a parcel that's already loaded). Other times, I want to try a smaller modification - a few method changes (which, if they work out, I'll package as an update. In that case, I export the modified code from my development environment as a fileout, and then execute this in a workspace in the runtime:

'FilenameHere.st' asFilename fileIn.

That loads the small change. If it's something that shouldn't go into production, but that I'd like to load at startup anyway, I can save the new file into the BottomFeeder directory, and just slap the code above into the .btfrc file (which gets auto-loaded at startup, if it's there).

The cool thing about all this is that Smalltalk provides its own scripting language. I ship BottomFeeder with the compiler and workspace present so that I can experiment like this, and also so that other people with Smalltalk knowledge can dive in, if they want to. Unlike a Java application, I don't have to tell people to use a "simpler" scripting language - which, btw, should be a sure sign that there are problems in Java - if the base language is too complicated for that task, that's a problem - at least IMHO.

In any event, it's a neat thing about Smalltalk - and it's something that allows customization of a runtime application, if the developer(s) of that application want to allow that.

Read: The Malleability of Smalltalk

Topic: Problem Tracking in BottomFeeder Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sony's nightmare continues

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use