The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Don't force it

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Don't force it Posted: Nov 18, 2005 5:57 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Don't force it
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scoble and Shel Israel make a good point about blogging - you can't force it:

He and I met the other day and he told me that he is hearing lots of companies thinking about integrating blogging into their marketing plans. You know, treating it as yet another marketing “chore” that teams need to do to be able to ship. He thought that idea is lame and will end in failure for those who approach blogs that way. I agree.

Blogging is writing, when you get right down to it, and you can't really force that. When your organization produces white papers, you probably have specific people who produce them. Sure, they get feedback from a variety of people in the organization, but those people don't each write a paragraph.

The same thing applies here. If you want effective blogging, it needs to come out as a natural voice. Forcing it on a team as part of their day to day job isn't going to result in a natural voice, and - if they are irritated by the mandate - then that irritation will shine through.

Read: Don't force it

Topic: Dumb and Dumberer at Sony Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Outage

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use