The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Digg, Same as the Old Slashdot

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Digg, Same as the Old Slashdot Posted: Nov 8, 2005 9:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Digg, Same as the Old Slashdot
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I saw a post talking about Digg on Real Tech News, comparing it to slashdot. The comparisons seemed very apt to me:

Digg users do not click ads. Webmasters should stop trying to game the system to get the traffic. The increased traffic will use up your bandwidth and will risk slowing down or crashing your server. In the short run, getting on the front page is more likely to cost you money than make you money if you are depending on ads for your revenue

I know that getting Slashdotted can knock a site off the air; apparently, getting Dugg can now do the same thing.

Digg traffic does not generate new users, comments, or posts. Digg users often comment regarding a site on digg itself instead of on the dugg website. Even though we have often had easy ways for people to leave comments (no registration required), digg users typically do not post.

I can't say that I've ever been slashdotted (or dugg), but I have had traffic spurts from techmemorandum, or from links from popular bloggers. For the most part, this observation is correct - a brief spike doesn't tend to add many permanent new readers. After the last couple of these, I noticed a handful of new subscriptions on BlogLines, for instance.

Every site on the front page gets flamed in the comments. If you read digg, you need a thick skin. If the site is something about windows, the apple/linux people whine… and visa versa. However, this is in no way saying that the comments are not helpful to the digg users or to the webmasters.

That certainly sounds like Slashdot. Anyone who's ever had the patience to follow a thread over there knows that the comments devolve into a flamefest, quickly. It's especially bad when either Apple or Linux come in for criticism - constructive or otherwise.

Ultimately, sites like Slashdot and Digg do serve a purpose - they give you some notion (like techmemorandum) as to what part of the blogosphere is talking about. It's a limited chunk, to be sure, but it's still interesting. Just don't count on it for making you into an A-Lister.

Read: Digg, Same as the Old Slashdot

Topic: Couch Potato it is! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sony on rootkit installation -

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use