The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Looking at the subscriptions

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Looking at the subscriptions Posted: Nov 7, 2005 1:42 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Looking at the subscriptions
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I had a few reasons to look at my subscription list this morning - I needed to create a "human readable" reading list to share with people who aren't necessarily familiar with RSS/Atom. Yes, I could have just taken the *gag* OPML list from BottomFeeder and applied XSLT, but I know Smalltalk way, way better than I know XSLT. And besides, I was going to have to remove the feeds that come from scripts or ssh gateways. So, I opened a workspace in Bf and started hacking out a quick script. I ended up having to match against three things to exclude things from the list, so I created a "function" (i.e., a block) to do that:

"A block to define match strings"
matchBlock := [:matcher :string | ((matcher match: string) or: [matcher match: string])].

That provides the matching code. Next, gathering the appropriate links, filtering out things unique to my setup - the ssh based feeds that use my Linux box, the file urls that use scripts, and the PubSub feeds that I've set up:

"grab the content"
dict := Dictionary new.
feeds := RSSFeedManager default getAllMyFeeds.
feeds do: [:each |
	| title  |
	title := (each title copyWithout: Character tab) trimBlanks.
	((each url isNil) | (matchBlock value: '*victoria*' value: each link) | (matchBlock value: '*pubsub*' value: each link) | (matchBlock value: '*file://*' value: each link))
		ifFalse: [dict at: title put: (Array with: each url with: each link)]].

That just runs through the internal data, and sets up a simple dictionary - the key is the title of the feed, and the value is an array - html page and xml feed link. With that in hand, I had a shortened list, and I was able to dump out the data in tabular form:

"now write the content, as HTML and as plain text"
out := WriteStream on: (String new: 10000).
out2 := WriteStream on: (String new: 10000).
out nextPutAll: '<html><body>'; cr.
out nextPutAll: '<table width="50%" border="1" cellpadding="3"><tr>'; cr.
out nextPutAll: '<td>Title</td><td>HTML Page</td><td>XML Page</td></tr>'; cr.
matcher1 := '*victoria*'.
matcher2 := '*file://*'.
matcher3 := '*pubsub*'.
dict keysAndValuesDo: [:key :value | | first last |
	first := value first isNil ifTrue: [''] ifFalse: [value first].
	last := value last isNil ifTrue: [''] ifFalse: [value last].
	((matchBlock value: matcher1 value: last) | (matchBlock value: matcher2 value: last) | (matchBlock value: matcher3 value: last))
		ifFalse: [out nextPutAll: '<tr>'; cr.
				out nextPutAll: '<td>', key, '</td>'.
				out nextPutAll: '<td>', first, '</td>'.
				out nextPutAll: '<td>', last, '</td>'.
				out nextPutAll: '</tr>'; cr.
				out2 nextPutAll: first; cr.
				out2 nextPutAll: last; cr]].
out nextPutAll: '</table>'; cr.
out nextPutAll: '</body></html>'; cr.

That dumps two things - an HTML file, and a flat text file (but to internal streams). One more snippet and we have it to the file system:

"dump to external files"
file := 'bf-html-list.html' asFilename writeStream.
file nextPutAll: out contents.
file close.
file2 := 'bf-list.txt' asFilename writeStream.
file2 nextPutAll: out2 contents.
file2 close.

And that's it. It's pretty nice to be able to do all that without exporting the data and running it in the development environment - because I have all the tools I need in my runtime environment.

Read: Looking at the subscriptions

Topic: Reminds me of a Dilbert Demo Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Simplicity is power

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use