The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Stuck on Stupid

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Stuck on Stupid Posted: Oct 7, 2005 5:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Stuck on Stupid
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I ran across two stories just now that are just amazing. First, let's have a look at this Boing Boing story about a web "intrusion". A UK guy donates money to a disaster relief, and then thinks maybe he's gotten scammed by a phishing thing. So - using only his browser and the keyboard, he tries a couple of things - and gets convicted of hacking for his trouble:

Stephen de Vries sez, "The details of this case are important to understand exactly how absurd the verdict was. What Daniel actually did to 'knock on the door' was to insert a ../../../ character sequence into the web address and a single quote into the credit card field - THROUGH HIS BROWSER. He did not use any attack 'tools' or 'probes' other than Internet Explorer. Furthermore, typing these sequences into a browser does not an attack make - it only proves that a website may be vulnerable. It takes a hell of a lot more effort to actually gain any form of unauthorized access to the site. Daniel did none of this, he only typed the sequences and watched the responses

I wouldn't put it past a US judge to have no clue either - it's all too easy for a well funded lawyer to paint scare quotes around this sort of thing, and exploit the lack of knowledge of a judge and/or jury. Next, I ran across some more stupidity from the RIAA (what a shocker):

The record industry may next aim its legal guns at satellite radio over a dispute involving new portable players that let listeners record and store songs, an analyst and industry sources said Wednesday

I guess the tape recorder is something these clowns haven't heard of. Hey stupid execs: I have a news flash for you - I was recording songs off the radio back in the late 60's, when I was under 10. It's not like this is a new thing, you half-wits.

I swear, the need for a massive cluestick gets bigger every day...

Read: Stuck on Stupid

Topic: Agile Specifications Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: BDD

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use