The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Not far enough back

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Not far enough back Posted: Sep 27, 2005 2:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Not far enough back
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scoble sheds some light on the Longhorn restart:

Either way, I'm glad the story is getting out. The short view is that last year we threw out the code that had been written for Longhorn and started over with a fresh code base (they restarted with Windows Server 2003's codebase, by the way). Then they started checking in features one at a time, albeit with higher quality bars. It was a very painful time. I had been sold on how cool Longhorn was going to be too, and last year I couldn't really say much as they rebuilt the entire product.

Well, that's not far enough back, IMHO. Windows started being a mess with NT 4.0, when they decided to move the graphics drivers into the kernel (and ushering in an era of blue screens related to that decision). It went downhill with the full bore integration of everything with everything else. What this decision does, IMHO, is delay the day of reckoning for the "big ball of mud" a couple of years. They'll be right back to their 2004 state, because they haven't actually dealt with the real problem yet.

And believe me, I know a big ball of mud when I see one. One of the things that our team has been working on is untangling the core Smalltalk image for VW into components. It was built as one big ball of mud from the start, and it's not easy to untangle. We know that's a problem, and are addressing it. If untangling VW is more complex than I'd like, imagine what untangling the mass of dependencies in Windows is going to look like.

Read: Not far enough back

Topic: Life returns to normal Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The storm before the storm

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use