The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Amazingly dumb column

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Amazingly dumb column Posted: Sep 3, 2005 12:10 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Amazingly dumb column
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I didn't think that a columnist could surprise me with raw ignorance any longer, but I was wrong. Have a look at the lack of understanding on display here - eWeek's Jim Rapoza is utterly baffled by syndication and aggregators:

But after years of really trying to like RSS feeds, I'm finally waving the white flag. This is another technology that just isn't for me. (And, yes, I realize that some of you are reading this column after receiving it through an RSS feed.)

As I do with IM and cell phones, I think part of the problem is that feeds— while empowering in some ways -- also remove some of the user's independence. Once subscribed to a feed, you just keep getting it, whether you want that day's info or not. No matter how I get the feeds delivered, they eventually become noise on my desktop or even an actual nuisance that I'd rather not deal with. Feeds delivered through e-mail clients are the worst, as they eventually become associated with other e-mail nuisances, such as spam.

My adventures in RSS feeds have succeeded in making me really appreciate Web browsing. I've decided I much prefer to go to Web sites and blogs to see if there's new information I want to read that day. I just feel as if I have a lot more control that way, and, using the grouped bookmarks features in Mozilla and Firefox, I can quickly look at multiple similar sites.

It's actually hard to stumble across this level of ignorance without trying. It's one thing to dislike the potential overload from RSS - I tend to max out around 300 feeds, myself. But Rapoza just doesn't understand the basics. You get the data whether you want it or not? Which part of "unsubscribe" is too hard for this guy? In my aggregator, I select a feed, and then pick the "remove feed" menu option - bingo, no more data from that source.

Apparently, Rapoza thinks that Winer and Scoble are going to show up at his house and throttle him if he dares to unsubscribe. And they pay this guy to produce drivel like this...

Read: Amazingly dumb column

Topic: Quick, get the cluestick Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sample chapters posted at Artima, NFJS profile posted

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use