The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Difficult or just different?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Difficult or just different? Posted: Aug 25, 2005 9:33 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Difficult or just different?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Matthew Morgan asks a question about various languages (he mentions Smalltalk, Lisp, and Scheme, among others):

So, these languages are often more elegant and concise than their mainstream counterparts, but they also require more mental effort to decode (especially when reading other people’s code). I suspect this is the kernel of truth behind the idea that these languages are only for Smart People. But even Smart People would be better served by a language that didn’t require that extra effort. Is it possible to escape the dichotomy of expressiveness versus readability?

He gives an example - I don't know Scheme, so I can't comment on its veracity. However, in Smalltalk, I can't think of anything that makes the language harder to decode - quite the opposite, actually.

Read: Difficult or just different?

Topic: Touring Brussels Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mark Johnson on VA Smalltalk

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use