The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
When he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
When he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it Posted: Aug 18, 2005 5:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: When he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Joel Spolsky says:

As I worked through the screens that would be needed to allow either party to initiate the process, I realized that Aardvark would be just as useful, and radically simpler, if the helper was required to start the whole process. Making this change in the spec took an hour or two. If we had made this change in code, it would have added weeks to the schedule. I can’t tell you how strongly I believe in Big Design Up Front, which the proponents of Extreme Programming consider anathema. I have consistently saved time and made better products by using BDUF and I’m proud to use it, no matter what the XP fanatics claim. They’re just wrong on this point and I can’t be any clearer than that.

Well - I have to admit - as with exceptions, when Joel misses the point, he doesn't miss by a little. Look at his assertion - "If we had to make the change in code..."

Well. This assumes two things:

1. You got the spec right before you got started, because - according to Joel - once you start, it's just too hard to change the code
  2. You won't get into analysis paralysis due to fears about (1)

BDUF assumes that the spec can be made perfect, after which the coding will just be automatic. Well - if that's the case, why does he care about getting "the best" developers? Clearly, they have very little work to do in the bizarro universe where Joel lives - after design, they just code to the spec.

The reality is, specs are never complete - new requirements always arrive, and the first cut of a spec can't possibly catch them all. The whole point of agile is to accept this reality and move on. Joel wants to pretend otherwise, which makes him... foolish.

I suspect that Joel's developers have gotten into the habit of nodding their heads politely at Joel, and then rolling their eyes as he turns around. He's gone past the technical world into the "used to be technical and think I still am" project manager role. People like that are a real pain to work for, because you end up having to put up a false front - "sure, we'll do it just like you say, Joel" - followed by doing it the right way. Joel is a good product marketer - that's where he ought to spend his time. The technical side? He needs to stop making it obvious that he has no clue what he's talking about.

Read: When he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it

Topic: One trip in the bag, another to go Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Blog technical issues

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use