The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
I'm speaking at No Fluff Just Stuff!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
I'm speaking at No Fluff Just Stuff! Posted: Aug 16, 2005 8:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: I'm speaking at No Fluff Just Stuff!
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

I've been corresponding with Jay Zimmerman about the NFJS tour and it looks like I'll get a shot at speaking at two events! I'll be a trial speaker in Reston, Virginia October 28th-30th and in Charlotte, NC November 4th-6th. If people like me I'll get to come back again. I'm very pleased to have the opportunity and being in the same event as people like Dave Thomas... well, hopefully I won't bring the average down too far! ;)

I'll be talking about (big surprise!) the three major sections of Ship It!. Each of the major sections in the poster of Key Practices will be a session. Techniqes, Infrastructure and Techniques.

Here are the short version of each session. If you look over them and see room for improvement, please let me know! ;) I'll take all the help I can get. (grin).

Software Tools That Make Life Easier

• Do you spend more time fighting your tools than writing code?
  • Do you avoid merging your code with your teammates because of “Integration Hell”?
  • Do the same bugs keep sneaking back into your product?
  • Do your builds depend on the roll of the dice?

A good set of infrastructure tools can go a long way toward smoothing out these and other problems. Come see how to make your toolset work seamlessly in the background so you can Just Work. We'll cover source code management (SCM), build scripts, automated test harnesses, automatic builds, feature tracking and issue tracking.

As part of the session, I intend to install Subversion, create a project, and then add code for the SCM section ... just to obliterate the "it takes too much time to set up and use" argument. For build scripts, we'll add an Ant script. Let's throw in a few JUnits to demonstrate test automation, and then I'll put it all together in CruiseControl. The live demo will include breaking the build, then breaking the JUnit test, and then finally fixing it and seeing it all work.

Software Development Techniques

Throughout our software careers we learn habits from our coworkers, from books we've read, and occasionally, from conferences we attend. Much of our competence comes from the tips and tricks we pick up as we go. In this session, learn five of the techniques I've borrowed along the way. We'll discuss The List, code reviews, code change notifications, daily meetings, and tech leads. These techniques are often abused, but when used properly they can make a huge difference in how you develop software. Take this opportunity to add these practices to your toolkit.

Pragmatic Tracer Bullets

Are your product designs hit or miss? Do you have trouble building a loosely coupled system? Is your code incestuous? Refactoring not an option with your code base? Tracer Bullets help keep your project out of the fire. Tracer Bullet Development:

• helps you create great software
  • lends itself to an iterative cycle
  • can be used for demos early and often
  • is easily refactored
  • allows your teams to work in parallel
  • makes a very testable system

Tracer Bullets can coexist with nearly any other development methodology. In this session we'll write some basic Tracer Bullets in Java. Come see how easy it is!

If you live near Reston or Charlotte, please come out and see what No Fluff/Just Stuff is all about. I've attended NFJS myself and found it to be a great experience.

Have fun!

Jared

Read: I'm speaking at No Fluff Just Stuff!

Topic: On to Epcot Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: XML With Style in beta

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use