The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Why power matters

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Why power matters Posted: Aug 1, 2005 11:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Why power matters
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Martin Fowler uses Ruby to explain the power that full closures give you:

When I first started programming in Smalltalk one of the things I liked right from the start were the collection classes. They allowed you to simply do a bunch of common and powerful operations on collection classes. When Java appeared, I missed these kinds of methods - the Java (and C#) collections were very limited compared to Smalltalk. The main reason for this limitation is that Java doesn't have any convenient implementation for a Closure. The powerful Smalltalk methods for collections all relied on closures.

The rest of his post gives copious examples in Ruby, all of which map directly to Smalltalk. The fact that closures don't exist in Java is one of the more severe limitations - and the reason it lacks them goes back to what I heard Joshua Bloch say at ot2004 - Java was designed as a "herd" language. Which is why Eliot often says:

Smalltalk: Scene, not herd.

Read: Why power matters

Topic: Sometimes, it's still plug and pray Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Remember Kryptonite?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use