The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Is it him, or Java?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Is it him, or Java? Posted: Jul 28, 2005 7:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Is it him, or Java?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Ted Neward makes the unsurprising comment that some problems don't lend themselves that well to an OO solution:

The problem I have with the industry right now is stated rather simply: Not every problem we face lends itself to an object-oriented solution. For a large percentage of developers working today, that is an uncomfortable feeling, and thus gets repressed with a brutality normally reserved for hideous personality defects that we don't want to own up to. Whether we like it or not, however, the design space that EJB--and Spring--operate in is a space that doesn't lend itself to the object-oriented paradigm, and trying to pretend otherwise can lead us into all sorts of dangerous places.

Well, I'd say that there are fewer things of this nature than Ted seems to think there are. Take his example, for instance:

Consider another technology whose major architectural principles also don't follow an O-O slant, that being the HTTP and Servlet space. When you consider the major tenets of object-orientation, usually consisting of polymorphism, encapsulation and a methodology that demands fine-grained methods and objects ("No method should be longer than a page in your editor" and "No class' responsibilities should exceed what can be written on an index card" being two of the common aphorisms used to describe proper O-O design and implementation), it slowly dawns on you that servlets don't really follow that approach at all. In fact, if we were to compare a servlet's overall design, it smacks much more of a 3270 session, which is essentially a procedural space: requests are processed, per-session data used as part of that processing, generating results that are returned.

Well. Maybe Java developers go that way. I certainly don't. This blog server is implemented via servlets and SSP (Smalltalk Server Pages), and it certainly doesn't have servlets that have those problems. In fact, my servlets tend to have one responsibility and short methods. I rather suspect that this is a problem with Java developers that Ted is projecting back. You don't have to create crappy, kitchen sink servlets - it's just that most Java developers do.

Perhaps Java development culture, with it's not fully OO implementation, encourages non-OO thinking. Perhaps the legacy of C developers who never really went for objects has something to do it. In any case, I think Ted identifies the wrong problem here.

Read: Is it him, or Java?

Topic: Can you watch for more than 5 minutes? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Enough with the tablet promotion

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use