The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Opentalk

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Opentalk Posted: Jun 28, 2005 7:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Opentalk
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Martin Kobetic, 8:30 am. We are talking about Opentalk, starting with Multicasting. Works in an IP range, using UDP. Range for multicasting is normally within a single network, but it can be extended via a router that can forward IGMP, ttl. Here's Martin:

Martin Kobetic

There's code in VW that makes it easy to set up for sending or receiving messages from a multicast group. To raise this up a level from sockets (Martin just ran us through a set of slides with the registration code), there's Opentalk-Groups, which puts in an object layer. A group:

• brokers running on the same port
  • brokers join the same mcast address
  • receivers exported under the same OID (Object ID)
  • group proxy #(mcast-address, port, OID)
  • Remote Group Request - STSTOneWayRequest

To set all that up, you create a broker with the appropriate parameters (again, there's code up there that I can't type fast enough :) ). Basically, you set up a broker and advertise yourself to the mcast group. Once that's done, you can start broadcasting messages, like so:

group := broker groupById: #group.
group show: 'Hello World!'. 

Heh - no demo is complete without a debugger popping - Martin's first crack at showing a chat system had one. Simple fix and a multi-person chat - without a server - was up. Next - we are going to participate in a grid demo. Best example of a well known grid: SETI@Home. It handles:

• resource discovery
  • resource configuration
  • task distribution
  • result collection

The demo? Code breaking of RC4_40_MD5, using a brute force methodology but with randomly selected ranges, ranges searched sequentially, and looking for a known pattern ('GET/'). I can't get my system to join, but 5 other clients have hooked up. The thing to keep in mind here is that we are - with 5 clients on the grid - breaking a 24 bit key.

The framework is pretty simple - there's a controller managing the entire task - distributes tasks and collects results. Then there are the drones, which get sent tasks, execute them, and send back results. I may well post the code for this demo when I get some time later - it was pretty cool.

Read: Opentalk

Topic: Re: First blown travel of StS 2005 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Blitzkrieg Testing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use