The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Reality slaps the regulators in the face

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Reality slaps the regulators in the face Posted: Jun 24, 2005 1:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Reality slaps the regulators in the face
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Remember the legal ruling from the EU that forced MS to sell/ship a version of Windows XP without media player in Europe? Well, they have that version out there now, but it seems that the regulators are the only ones who want it:

Retailers in Europe report that there's no interest in the XP N versions. The problems are price and perception. Despite lacking a key feature of the mainstream XP versions, the XP N editions are priced identically to their non-N counterparts. Too, the lack of a media player means that XP N buyers need to manually download a media player, which, believe it or not, is still a daunting process for many people.
Some PC makers--notably Dell and Sony--have simply refused to ship the XP N editions. "From our experience, customers purchasing computers expect them to come equipped with the capability of playing back digital media files," a Dell spokesperson said.

Having fixed up more than one Windows installation in my time, I can verify that - I still recall my neighbors, who are not dumb by any means - but they couldn't get their printer installed, and it "only" required a download of the appropriate driver.

Read: Reality slaps the regulators in the face

Topic: I'll be at Smalltalk Solutions 2005 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Back to the logs: week of 6/12/05

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use